Arabic-L:GEN:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac query

Mon Apr 7 20:10:04 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac query
1) Subject:Dil's response

Date: 07 Apr 2008
From:Vowel markings with Mellel on Mac query
Subject:Alexander Elinson" <alexander.elinson at gmail.com>

Dear All,

The recent discussion has prompted this question: I am preparing some
Arabic text on a Mac using Mellel. When I have a letter with a shadda
and a short vowel over it, the short vowel shows up right on top of
the shadda, resulting in a smudge-like mark. This is both onscreen,
and when printed. I have tried different fonts, font sizes,
magnifications, etc., but to no avail. Is there a way to deal with
this so as to have a clearly vowelled text, shaddas and all?

Thank you,

Alexander Elinson
Assistant Professor of Arabic
Department of Classical and Oriental Studies
Hunter College of the City University of New York