Arabic-L:PEDA:UPenn Summer Intensive Arabic Courses

Wed Apr 9 14:30:27 UTC 2008

1) Subject:UPenn Summer Intensive Arabic Courses

Date: 09 Apr 2008
From:emad at sas.upenn.edu
Subject:UPenn Summer Intensive Arabic Courses

UPenn Summer Intensive Arabic Program

ARAB 131-910. Intensive Elementary Arabic I & II. (Jamal Ali and
Mbarek Sryfi)
Prerequisite: None
This is a six- week intensive course offered in the summer through the
Office of Summer
Sessions; (see Penn Summer Course Guide.)
  This is the beginners course in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). It
introduce learners to the speaking, listening, reading, and writing
skills in the standard means of communication in the Arab world. The
course is proficiency-based, implying that all activities are aimed at
placing you, the learner, in the context of the native-speaking
environment from the very beginning. Evaluation is done by the more
traditional testing methods (vocabulary tests, dictations, grammar and
translation exercises). We anticipate that by the end of this course
students will range in proficiency from Novice High to Intermediate
Low on the ACTFL scale; in other words (using the terminology of the
government's Foreign Service Institute), from 'incipient survival' to
'full survival' in the native-speaking environment. (see course
description for more details).

ARAB 133-910. Intermediate Arabic I & II. (Hassan Nitami)
Prerequisite: ARAB 031-032  or ARAB 131-910
This is a six- weeks intensive course offered in the summer through
the Office of Summer Sessions; see Penn Summer Course Guide.) This is
the continuation of ARAB 031-032,  or ARAB 131-910 the elementary
course in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). This course is also
proficiency-based, implying that all activities within the course are
aimed at placing you, the learner, in the context of the native-
speaking environment from the very beginning. As in ARAB 031-032,  and
131-910 evaluation is done by the more traditional testing methods
(vocabulary tests, grammar and translation exercises). Completion of
this course fulfills the College of Arts and Sciences' language
requirement in Arabic. However, it should be emphasized that you will
need a longer period of study to achieve proficiency in Arabic. We
anticipate that students range from Intermediate Low to Intermediate
High according to ACTFL scale.
For inquiries, please contact
Emad Rushdie
Lecturer in Foreign Languages
Coordinator of the Arabic Language Program
Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
847 Williams Hall
255 South 36th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Tel/(215)898-7466