Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs native Yemeni, Omani, Moroccan, Lebanese, Tunisian speakers

Wed Apr 23 14:49:54 UTC 2008

Arabic-L: Wed 23 Apr 2008

1) Subject:Needs native Yemeni, Omani, Moroccan, Lebanese, Tunisian
speakers

Date: 23 Apr 2008
From:jeremy.palmer at gmail.com
Subject:Needs native Yemeni, Omani, Moroccan, Lebanese, Tunisian
speakers

Looking for native Yemeni, Omani, Moroccan, Lebanese,Tunisian speakers
to help create Arabic Speech Acts for research!

It could all be done in less than an hour! (maybe even 20 minutes!)

My name is Jeremy Palmer. I am a PhD student in Second Language
Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) at the University of Arizona.I am
writing to ask for assistance with one of my dissertation research
instruments.

I will collect data this summer at several institutions throughout the
Arabic-speaking world at Arabic study abroad locations. One of my
instruments is a Speech Acts test consisting for 4 short audio clips.
The speech acts range from bargaining, complaining, holiday greetings,
asking for directions, asking for information. Each clip is less than
1 minute long. Students will hear the clips 3 times each and will then
answer some basic questions about what they heard. I can send you
example clips and questions from Egyptian and Jordanian to give you an
idea.

Please let me know if you can help! All you would do is sit down and
record (audio only) a few unscripted situations with another native
speaker of your Arabic variety.

Thank you,
Jeremy Palmer
jeremy.palmer at gmail.com