Arabic-L:LING:Al-3abd Allaah

Mon Aug 25 18:31:47 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Al-3abd Allaah

Date: 25 Aug 2008
From:David Wilmsen <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>
Subject:Al-3abd Allaah

I haven't done a systematic observation of place names in Lebanon, but
in driving round the country and noticing  road signs, I get the
impression that constructions such as رملة البيضاء are
common. I do not believe they are  analogous to family names. I
actually know a young woman from the الطويل family, and it is
obvious that what we see in her full name is not the same phenomenon.
I admit that you caught me for a minute with شارع الحمراء,
but there is a family of the name حمرا (without the hamza) from
مرجعيون. It could be that the street was named for the family،
you may sometimes see it written الحمرا on road signs. But it is
just as likely that it was named الحمراء for other reasons -
perhaps for the Andalusian palace. When the construction was first
brought to my attention, it was pointed out to me that one might often
hear the phrase عيد الكبير when the canonical construction
would be العيد الكبير. So clearly the gender of the nouns
involved is not the key to the question. It seems, rather, to be a
general trend -  perhaps no longer productive - in some varieties of
Arabic (and other Semitic languages - thanks Michael).

DW