Arabic-L:LING:Al-3abd Allaah

Fri Aug 29 20:08:26 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Al-3abd Allaah
2) Subject:Al-3abd Allaah

Date: 29 Aug 2008
From:Schub, Michael B." <Michael.Schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject:Al-3abd Allaah

a propos:  we have a large number of Spanish forms from Arabic e.g. al
Alcazar (lit. 'the the casle') ~  el Alcala;  el algebra,
al alaya (a Quranic verse); even el-algarabia (sorry!) for 'gibberish'.
      But i won't be able to sleep at night if someone doesn't tell me
why the river(s) Guadalquivir [>al-waadii  al-kabiir] isn't 'al-
alwaadiialquivir'.  Ayudanme por favor!  I'm drowning.
                                                                                 ms