Arabic-L:LING:my house query

Mon Dec 1 22:52:18 UTC 2008

1) Subject:my house query
2) Subject:my house query

Date: 01 Dec 2008
From:kalam la <lakalam at gmail.com>
Subject:my house query

The sentences are simple, but the topic is interesting.
I think grammatically, all of them are correct, but this might be
better analyzed from information structure.

I asked three Egyptians.
All of them accept the first and second ones, but not the third one
Two of them prefer the second one most, and the third prefer the first
one most.

I thought the reason of their preference of the second one is that the
second sentence clearly show a topic-comment structure. ('from here'
is the topic)

I'm also wandering if the regional difference might affect the
acceptability/well-formedness, or it may be just personal preference.
So I want to know where all those who answered this question come
from. (In my case, three answers are from Egytpians)
So if our colleagues will post to this topic, I'd like to know their
original region.

In Egyptian Arabic, there is another expression of ocomparison using
positive degree ('urayyib = 'near') and preposition عan. So the
coprresponding structure of the first and third ones are:
1) beet-i 'urayyib عan beet-ak min hena.
3) beet-i 'urayyib min hena عan beet-ak.

And they accepted the (3) in this expression.
So their inacceptance of the third sentence in MSA may be caused by
awkwardness or ambiguiety of the target of comparison, i.e. 'min
hunaa' and ''aqrab min', both of which  are expressed by 'min'?
If so, I assume those three Egyptians may accept the third one if they
think of the aceptability of the third one many times. I haven't asked
them yet, but it often happens to me in my language. And if so, it may
be more related to information structure.
I think it's interesting if we can use dialects in some way to analyze
MSA sentences.

Best regards.

Tomoko  Kondo  in Cairo