Arabic-L:LING:Root frequency

Mon Feb 18 21:17:00 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Root frequency

Date: 18 Feb 2008
From:timbuckwalter at qamus.org
Subject:Root frequency

Hi Dil,

I don't know of any available tagged corpora that list roots (or
pattern morphemes, for that matter -- it would be nice to have
frequency counts of both). However, there is a word frequency count by
Wolf-Dietrich Fromm (1982) that does include an appendix with the
frequencies of roots. It's based on a relatively small newspaper
corpus. Below is the full citation, with some basic stats that I
reported on at last-year's ALS conference.

Best,
Tim

Wolf-Dietrich Fromm (1982). Häufigkeitswörterbuch der modernen
arabischen Zeitungspache. (Frequency dictionary of modern newspaper
Arabic). Leipzig: VEB Verlag.

The corpus contains 59,561 tokens from the editorials of one issue
each of al-Ahram (Cairo), Tishrin (Damascus), and al-Thawra (Baghdad),
and an additional 20,000 tokens from the same newspapers, various
issues, dated 1975-1979, sampling various subjects, in 100 texts of
200 words each. The total of 79,561 tokens includes 8,257 types. The
list is reduced to 2,619 by eliminating words with a frequency less
than 3, and words that did not occur in all 3 sources.