Arabic-L:LING:Word Order and Generative Grammar

Thu Jan 3 21:55:51 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Word Order and Generative Grammar
2) Subject:Word Order and Generative Grammar

Date: 03 Jan 2008
From:Andrew T Freeman <andyf at u.washington.edu>
Subject:Word Order and Generative Grammar

Oh --

  I cannot stay out of this.

  1) Suppose the order in the past/perfective tense is VSO.
      a) the question in my mind is: Do we count the subject markers as
          i) "morphology" and therefore part of AGR?
          ii) or nominal case pronouns that are written onto the verbs
as an
              historical accident to save velum and stone carving
effort?
   2) if we go with 1)a)i) then we need to do a bunch of INFL & AGR
magic
   3) if we go with 1)a)ii) then we clash with every Arab speakers
native
      intuition with regards to the default constituent order in their
      dialects, except for w/ Moroccan, Yemeni dialects (probably
others)
      where VSO in the main clause for perfective is not unheard of.

   With imperfective the VSO order clashes with the SVO in the embedded
subject pronouns and in subordinate clauses with referent NPs.

   So whatever you do you have more than one word order with a lot of
contextual determinants forcing one order or the other.

  It turns out in the Newspaper genre that SVO (even in the
perfective) is a lot more prevalent than what you see in other
literary genres, but all you have to do is scan the Machine
Translation errors in Language Weaver or even Sakhr and more than a
third of these errors involve misidentifying the following NP as the
verb's object instead of the subject (thereby ruining the verb
valences for the entire rest of the sentence).  This is strong
evidence that VSO is the dominant word order for Standard Arabic, !
except! in subordinate clauses and with the embedded subject pronouns.

   As far as I am concerned if "native intuition" is your *only*
source of data, then you are in trouble once you start working with
Standard Arabic (or High German for a speaker of Swiss German for that
matter).

   I will say that in order for someone to make a full accounting for
the facts of the grammar of Standard Arabic that you will find in any
corpus of post WWII Arabic, you will need to make some allowance for
the fact that there is more than one unified grammar and lexicon at
play.  This becomes especially true if you start looking at more
informal uses of Standard Arabic, such as TV shows in front of live
audiences or the ever-present "talking heads" show.  Even with chat-
room data, where the matrix language is usually a dialect, you still
need to make some accounting for facts from Standard Arabic.  Once you
step into a cafe or train station in the Maghreb (Morocco, Algeria,
Tunis), you just cannot ignore French either.

  Given these data from the over-whelming majority of all actual uses
of the language, I don't see how you can explain even the simplest
facts without having a formalism that allows the researcher to model
mixed lects. I don't have to look very hard in my corpora to find data
where there are obvious elements from Standard Arabic and a dialect in
the same sentence sitting comfortably alongside elements that can
arguably be from either.

  Given that mixed lect usage is the day-to-day reality for more than
half of the language users on the planet, what explanatory power can
any formalism/theory lay claim to if it restricts its theory and
formalism to the study of "pure" and/or "core" grammars?

Dr. Andrew Freeman
Software Design Engineer microsoft
Masters student University of Washington (Professional Masters in
Computational Linguistics)