Arabic-L:LING:Translation of Arabic for Special Purposes, correction

Sat Jan 26 14:52:00 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Translation of Arabic for Special Purposes, correction

Date: 26 Jan 2008
From:moderator
Subject:Translation of Arabic for Special Purposes, correction

The following message was sent out with garbled Arabic.  Paula sends
the following transliteration so that you can follow the message,
which I then repeat below:

-------

the transliteration (my own) would be:

al-3arabiyya li-l-taTbiiqaat al-khaaSSa /
al-takhaSSuSSiyya

-----
Greetings.... ahalan wa sahalan.

I refer to your query posted on Arabic-L list.

One alternative expression is "Arabic for Special
Applications," ( العربية للتؕبيقات
الخاصة \ التخصصية ) versus "Arabic
(Language) for special purposes." (hope the Arabic
text for the two frequent variants -- inserted between
the parethses above -- arrives and displays properly,
ISA.)

That expression ("ASA") seemed in common use in the
degree-granting programs in translation and
interpreting offered by major universities in Saudi
Arabia, especially King Saud University and Imam
Mohammed bin Saud Islamic University (both in Riyadh,
where I was until last December).

The BA-level degree program in T&I at KSU includes
options to speciaIize during the last two years of the
program in a range of fields, technologies,
professions and industries so that graduates can get
jobs in the government or private sector.

You might also check the various undergraduate degree
or "professional certificate" programs in T&I
conducted by several government-run and private-sector
universities, colleges, and institutes in UAE ,
especially those conducted by UAE University in
Al-Ain, Abu Dhabi and the multi-campus emirates-wide
network of the Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT),
plus what may be offered by the American University of
Sharjah (which is somewhat newer in UAE). I have no
information about what may be offered in Qatar or Oman
for programs in T&I.

Hope this helps. Khair, in shaa' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke