Arabic-L:LING:Abuu, abaa, abii responses

Tue Oct 14 22:14:54 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Abuu, abaa, abii response
2) Subject:Abuu, abaa, abii response
3) Subject:Abuu, abaa, abii response
4) Subject:Abuu, abaa, abii response
5) Subject:Abuu, abaa, abii response

Date: 14 Oct 2008
From:Ernest McCarus <enm at umich.edu>
Subject:Abuu, abaa, abii response

Dear Mike,

Why Abizeid rather that Abuuzayd or Abaazayd?

The general's name is in a colloquial dialect rather than MSA. The
three-case system of Standard Arabic is reduced to a single-case
system in
the dialects, the most frequently-used vowel replacing the others.  Thus
you hear names like Abi-Abdalla, priests addressed as 'abiinaa rather
than
'abaanaa, masculine sound plurals in -iin for all syntactic functions,
etc.

As for the Sibawayhi story, I only hope it is not true.

Best,
Ernest