Arabic-L:LING:Quran verse with all Arabic letters responses

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Apr 10 16:57:53 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Quran verse with all Arabic letters response
2) Subject:Quran verse with all Arabic letters response
3) Subject:Quran verse with all Arabic letters response
4) Subject:Quran verse with all Arabic letters response

Date: 10 Apr 2009
From:Issa Adawi <issaadawi at hotmail.com>
Subject:Quran verse with all Arabic letters response

Actually there are two verses with the same description.
1- verse 29 from sura AL-FATH
2- Verse 154 From Sura AAL OMRAN

Best wishes and regards

Issa Adawi

Date: 10 Apr 2009
From:Kais Dukes <kais.dukes at jqurantree.org>

Hi Mahmoud,

I found the verses that you are after. I used the JQuranTree Java code
library. I found two verses in the Quran, both (3:154) and (48:29)
contain
all of the following Arabic characters:

Alif, Ba, Ta, Tha, Jeem, HHa, Kha, Dal, Thal, Ra, Zain, Seen, Sheen,
Sad,
DDad, TTa, DTha, Ain, Ghain, Fa, Qaf, Kaf, Lam, Meem, Noon, Ha, Waw, Ya,
Hamza, AlifMaksura, TaMarbuta.

A word of caution here - What constituents a unique letter is not
clear cut
in Arabic, since some letters are related and can be grouped into
variations
of the same basic form. I went according the chart found on the
following
webpage:

http://jqurantree.org/docs/OrthographyModel.aspx

in which case there are 31 distinct letters according to this reckoning
scheme. However, a more relaxed scheme might for example count Alif
Maksura
as a variation of Ya or Alif, and Ta Marbuta as a variation of Ha, and
Hamza
as a variation of Alif. The next verse I found (6:99), does not
contain Sad.
Still, if you stick with a scheme that uses 28 distinct letters and
merges
variations, then you will probably find a few more than those two
verses I
found above, but given that you are after "a" verse its probably good
enough
:-)

Both of the two verses (3:154) and (48:29) are very long (in the top 30
longest verses of the Quran, by letter count) so it's not surprising
that
they contain all the letters defined above.

You can download the JQuranTree library from http://jqurantree.org/
(if you
know Java). I can provide the source code for the small program used
to find
the two verses above, if you wi coosh to verify the results
automatically by
computer. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

-- Kais