Arabic-L:PEDA:Stats on # of students in USA studying Arabic response

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Apr 10 16:57:54 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Stats on # of students in USA studying Arabic response

Date: 10 Apr 2009
From:Dora Johnson <dJohnson at cal.org>
Subject:Stats on # of students in USA studying Arabic response

For college (including community college), and graduate study, you need
to check the Modern Language Association survey, www.mla.org. It's the
closest thing we have for an accurate number. As for K-12, there are no
good numbers. If you can find someone who can fund such a project,
please let us know! The Arabic K-12 Network (www.arabick12.org) has a
list of schools that teach Arabic. It is not complete because only the
schools that have responded to the survey are listed on the Web site. We
have been unsuccessful in getting enough documentable information to
list numbers of students and teachers. I suspect that some schools
districts would be able to provide you with that information, such as
Dearborn and maybe Ann Arbor. Perhaps subscribers to this list who do
have verifiable numbers can provide such information. We, at the Arabic
K-12 Network would be most grateful -- along with Dr. Elsayess!

Dora Johnson