Arabic-L:PEDA:Data discussion

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Apr 21 14:27:05 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Data discussion
2) Subject:Data discussion

Date: 21 Apr 2009
From:benjamin.geer at GMAIL.COM
Subject:Data discussion

 > After attending this conference, I am wondering why is it that most
of
 > our discussion is still based on intuition and anecdotal evidence. I
 > believe we need evidence- based decisions supported by empirical
data.

You might be interested in Jeremy Palmer's article "Arabic Diglossia:
Student Perceptions of Spoken Arabic After Living in the
Arabic-Speaking World".  The abstract is as follows:

"This paper presents data collected from students who studied Arabic
for at least two semesters before traveling to the Arabic-speaking
world. Results show that if the majority of these students could
restart their study of Arabic, they would want to learn a spoken
variety of Arabic before traveling abroad. Results also indicate that
students who attempted to communicate in spoken Arabic in the
Arabic-speaking world felt that they were more easily able to
integrate into the culture. This new research provides considerable
support for inclusion of spoken varieties of Arabic in curricula -
even for beginning students."

The paper can be downloaded here:

http://w3.coh.arizona.edu/awp/AWP15/AWP15%5BPalmer%5D.pdf

Ben