Arabic-L:PEDA:Columbia Summer Arabic Program

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Apr 23 00:45:42 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Columbia Summer Arabic Program

Date: 22 Sep 2009
From:taoufiq ben amor <tb46 at columbia.edu>
Subject:Columbia Summer Arabic Program

Arabic Summer Program

Departmental Representative: Dr. Taoufik Ben-Amor, 610A Kent Hall
212-854-2895
tb46 at columbia.edu

Course are offered in two five-week sessions:

June 1-July 3, 2009
July 6- August 7, 2009

First Year Arabic, I and II (Alif Baa and Al-Kitaab Vol.1, Chapters
1-18)
Second Year Arabic, I and II* (Al-Kitaab Vol.2, Chapters 1-9)
Third Year Arabic, I and II* (Al-Kitaab Vol. 3, Chapters 1-9)

* Students applying for any course other than First Year Arabic, I,
must take an online placement exam before they are admitted to the
program.
Students who have taken Elementary or Intermediate Arabic at Columbia
University are not required to take the placement exam.

Students are encouraged to take courses in both sessions, but with
permission from the director may take one session.

The Columbia Arabic Summer Program (CASP) offers intensive instruction
in the Arabic language through texts, multimedia materials, and
activities designed to situate the language in the context of cultures
in which it is spoken.

The language of instruction is Modern Standard Arabic (MSA).

Experienced instructors use a communicative approach that emphasizes
listening, reading, speaking, writing and culture. Activities designed
to teach all skills spring from real situations and current events.
Classes are held in technologically advanced smart and electronic
classrooms.

The program also includes:

     * Daily free tutoring provided by an experienced tutor
     * Readings of Arabic short stories, poetry, and current newspaper
articles for Third Year classes.
     * Live television and radio broadcasts from the Middle East,
movies, music, the Internet, video clips, and access to interactive
instructional facilities
     * Trips to acquaint students with the magnificent Middle Eastern
heritage on display in museums and libraries of New York City. Visits
to Middle Eastern neighborhoods and restaurants, and lessons in Middle
Eastern cuisine

Students in the Columbia Arabic Summer Program follow the Summer Term
application and registration procedures.

For more information, please follow this link:

http://www.ce.columbia.edu/summer/courses_listing_detail.cfm?
PID=1&DeptID=80