Arabic-L:LING:demonstratives again

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Aug 26 23:14:11 UTC 2009

1) Subject:demonstratives again

Date: 26 Aug 2009
From:Mai Zaki <maizaki at gmail.com>
Subject:demonstratives again

Dear all,

There have been questions lately about the morphological composition
of expressions that include the demonstrative such as "ahakatha" and
"kathalika". There have been some good contributions, but I just want
to ask one more thing. The forms of demonstratives in MSA are: هذا -
هذه - هذان - هاتان - هؤلاء - ذلك - تلك -
ذانك - تانك - أولئك. We know that the demonstrative
pronoun is "ذا" but this is missing in some of these forms, so how is
this explained morphologically and semantically which part carries the
demonstrative meaning in the absence of "tha". Also, is there any
semantic significance for the absence of "attentional ha" in the
distal forms?

Thank you very much in advance.

Mai Zaki

End of Arabic-L:  26 Aug 2009