Arabic-L:LING:Writing Dual forms of hamza final verbs

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Aug 27 20:18:46 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Writing Dual forms of hamza final verbs

Date: 27 Aug 2009
From:Alexander Magidow <amagidow at gmail.com>
Subject:Writing Dual forms of hamza final verbs

Dear all,

While studying in CASA Syria, I recall my teachers telling us to spell
verbs with final hamza in the dual with a hamza, followed by an alif
as in:
قرأا
rather than with a madda, as in:
قرآ
A search of Arabicorpus shows that the hamza alif version is extremely
rare in comparison with the madda version (also, Buckley's grammar gives
the madda version), though all instances of hamza alif are from Thawra,
which I assume refers to the Syrian newspaper. I also asked a Lebanese
speaker, and he confirmed that he was taught to write with alif hamza.

My question, to the native Arabic speakers here raised in a Middle
Eastern school system is this: What were you taught in your home
country? Were you give a reason for what you were told?

Thanks,
Alex