Arabic-L:PEDA:Responses to 'teaching colloquial with MSA'

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Jan 2 22:29:39 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Response to 'teaching colloquial with MSA'
2) Subject:Response to 'teaching colloquial with MSA'
3) Subject:Response to 'teaching colloquial with MSA'
4) Subject:Response to 'teaching colloquial with MSA'
5) Subject:Response to 'teaching colloquial with MSA'

Date: 02 Jan 2009
From:Uri Horesh <uri.horesh at fandm.edu>
Subject:Response to 'teaching colloquial with MSA'

Dear Chris et al.,

I'd like to thank Chris for his thoughtful questions and thoughts and
offer a few remarks:

1. If anyone "cringes at [your] use of 'rules' in reference to
dialect," let them cringe all they want. Dialects - including those of
Arabic - are just as systematic as any language. They have
regularities and irregularities; stable features and variable ones.
And in many cases, especially in phonology but by no means limited to
that domain, "conversion" from MSA to a dialect (or a cluster of
dialects) is quite predictable.

2. On that note, Margaret Nydell once publishes a series of conversion
courses from MSA to XXX dialect(s). It seems to be out of print, but
if you contact Georgetown University's Arabic Department, I'm sure
they can locate copies for you.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Margaret%20K.%20Nydell&page=1

3. The notion of teaching "dialectal forms" without teaching a
specific dialect is not a new one. It may seem peculiar to some
people, but I think it is useful. It can be done in the form of
"Formal Spoken Arabic," as in the series of books by Karin Ryding,
David Mehall and others. Or it can be done using any of the existing
materials, which are dialect-specific, as long as the instructor isn't
bound and doesn't bind her/his students to using one particular
dialect in speech. For instance, if a teacher well-versed in Egyptian
Arabic is using the materials in Al-Kitaab (or Mughazy's book for that
matter), but has a number of students of Lebanese heritage, or even
non-heritage students who plan to travel to the Gulf, why not let them
interact as Arabs would interact in the real world: each using the
dialect with which they are comfortable, with adjustments and
accommodations where needed.

4. Finally, a bunch of us have been meeting, mostly informally thus
far, to discuss ways in which Munther Younes's integrated approach to
teaching Arabic dialects alongside MSA can be refined and promoted. If
you respond to me off-list, I can give you more details.

Best wishes,
Uri