Arabic-L:PEDA:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Jan 15 00:16:32 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA
2) Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

Date: 14 Jan 2009
From:Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

I'm glad Joseph Bell brings this topic to the list.

For reasons you are all familiar with there are many institutions that
resist teaching anything but فصحى.  However, there seems to be a
growing interest in teaching something other than فصحى.  As Joseph,
and others have asked: which عامية?

Looking at Arabic as a broad spectrum with عامية on one end and
فصحى at the other, by dedicating instruction to a limited sliver at
the فصحى end does not adequately reflect the linguistic reality of
Arabic.  As a consequence teaching only فصحى does not serve
learners adequately.

Therefore, in an attempt to bridge the gaps, and to introduce more of
that spread, I believe that more mixing is useful.  In my opinion such
a mixing should proceed on the basis of the following broad linguistic
areas, as well as combinations of these areas as necessary:

Phonology
The lexicon
Morphology
Syntax

To illustrate, using an example of a phonological generalization, I
suggest that within the context of courses in MSA --as commonly taught
using Arabic textbooks, such as الكتاب الأساسي, or
الكتاب, or The Michigan Series, and others-- it will be very
useful for learners to know that the dipthongs /aw/ and /ay/, such as
in فوق and بيت are realized as vowels /oo/ and /ee/.  There are
numerous other examples.  As a speaker of Egyptian Arabic, I can
introduce such phonological information and mix it in during the
course of the semester.  Speakers from other regions of the Arabic-
speaking world can do the same.

 From the lexicon, an example of what to introduce is the definite
relative pronoun اِللي.  Learners can be encouraged to use it, and
also be informed of usage.

Taking morphological, syntactic, and mixed categories, the learners
should become aware of 'b prefixing' imperfect form verbs: يعرف and
بيعرف.  Someone once told me that on a visit to Jordan, never
having been introduced to anything but فصحى, when he heard the 'b
prefixed verb' he was sure it was a noun.

Learners should know that the definite article is 'il; not just 'al.

I am suggesting that non-فصحى features be introduced into the MSA
curriculum, and that such an introduction be within the context of MSA
--as opposed to فصحى only or عامية only instruction.

Waheed Samy
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor