Arabic-L:PEDA:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Jan 23 18:26:56 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA
2) Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

Date: 23 Jan 2009
From:Doria El Kerdany <doriayk at aucegypt.edu>
Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

Wahid,
that was very interesting answer, shokran.
do you have in mind a name of a source where we can find a list of non-
فصحى features (Egyptian dialect)?
best,
doria El kerdany

Date: 23 Jan 2009
From:Dina El Zarka <dina.elzarka at uni-graz.at>

Dear all,

we've been discussing this issue for a while now and it seems that it
will be long before any agreement can be  reached. Maybe solutions
will have to be tailored to particular needs, anyway. As far as
teaching at my department is concerned, we have to get students to a
quite high level of proficiency in MSA very soon because we are
training translators. So we cannot afford to spend one whole semester
on teaching a colloquial language which we then could use as a
metalanguage for teaching. Also not all of our teachers would be able
to do that.

In the past I started with MSA and also spoke only MSA in class. In
the third year we began teaching Egyptian Arabic using Manfred
Woidichs's materials. While students did very well in class and
enjoyed it, they never seemed to use it outside class or afterwards. I
thus turned to some kind of "formal spoken Arabic" along the
guidelines of Ryding and Zaiback's book with the same title to make
them actually use the language, teaching the "rules of change" and the
typical colloquial features first. But as an input I used different
purely colloquial materials including Egyptian and Shami variants.
Students performed better in expressing themselves than in the years
before when they were encouraged to use one dialect, i.e. Egyptian
Arabic. I guess the reason is that they felt they could also use fusha
whenever they did not know the right term or construction in ammiyya.

But the main problem is not solved with this method. It is evident
that exposure to spoken language has to be from the very beginning. So
I am experimenting at the moment with some kind of formal spoken
Arabic as a metalanguage which I use from the first semester on
together with German. At home I speak some funny mixture of Egyptian
and Iraqi Arabic and we for example avoid ayiz, ayza AND yiriid when
we wish to express "want" and have tacitly agreed on biddi. There are
many more examples, and I found that many of the spontaneous
adaptations (like from my side leaving out the -sh of the negation)
can be found in Ryding and Zaiback's book. I also went back to
consistently doing the ammiyya parts of Al-Kitaab which we use for
teaching.

The drawbacks are evident, students might be confused and will not use
a coherent local dialect as long as they don't go to an Arab country
and learn it. I have no idea where this will get us. This strategy
stems from desperation rather than being based on theoretical or
empirical grounds.

Dina El Zarka

Graz, Austria