Arabic-L:PEDA:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 28 20:15:24 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

Date: 28 Jan 2009
From:Benjamin Geer <benjamin.geer at gmail.com>
Subject:Teaching Colloquial with MSA

> As far as teaching at my department
> is concerned, we have to get students to a quite high level of
> proficiency
> in MSA very soon because we are training translators.

I suppose it doesn't matter for technical translation, but anyone who
wants to translate modern Egyptian literature needs to know Egyptian
dialect.  This applies to older works such as Tawfiq al-Hakim's
"Return of the Spirit" and Yahya Haqqi's stories, as well as more
recent ones such as Ibrahim Aslan's "The Heron," never mind something
like "Being Abbas al-Abd" by Ahmad al-Aidy.  I've had some great
laughs comparing translations of Egyptian novels into English with the
originals, and finding that some translators simply didn't understand
the colloquial expressions.  Some Egyptian newspapers, such as
Al-Dustur, are full of dialect, too.

I think my own experience has been very positive, and I always
recommend it to people who ask me about studying Arabic: first, go
study colloquial Arabic intensively (along with a bit of fusha) in an
Arab country for at least two years.  Study films, soap operas, etc.
Then go back to your home country and learn fusha.  That way, you
internalise colloquial as a means of everyday communication,
intimately connected with all the social practices that you learned
through immersion, and you experience fusha as something more formal
and less spontaneous, which is how native speakers experience it.  I
know this approach may not fit well into current university degree
programs, but maybe that's a sign that the degree programs need to be
changed.

Ben