Arabic-L:PEDA:Query on materials and methods

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Mar 3 19:01:00 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Query on materials and methods

Date: 03 Mar 2009
From:Mai Zaki <maizaki at gmail.com>
Subject:Query on materials and methods

Dear all,

I am involved in the designing of three-year programme (beginners/
intermediate/advanced) for teaching Arabic as part of a BA degree in
languages. Each year should have 2 modules: one for spoken language
(speaking and listening) and one for written language. I am hoping
some of you can guide me to useful teaching materials including
learning outcomes for each level and syllabus suggestions. The focus
of this program (according to student backgrounds) would be business
and marketing, but also tourism, development studies and politics so I
would appreciate it if you can point out any teaching books/references
concerned with those areas, especially for the speaking/listening.

I would also like to rasie the question of how difficult it is to
teach Arabic to students of two levels of entry in one class, e.g.
beginner and intermediate or intermediate and advanced.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mai Zaki