Arabic-L:LING:sa- and sawfa

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Mar 11 21:38:55 UTC 2009

1) Subject:sa- and sawfa
2) Subject:sa- and sawfa
3) Subject:sa- and sawfa
4) Subject:sa- and sawfa
5) Subject:sa- and sawfa

Date: 11 Mar 2009
From:wasamy at UMICH.EDU
Subject:sa- and sawfa

Hello Nancy.
I tell my students that they are the same.
Waheed

Date: 11 Mar 2009
From:Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>

I did a corpus study of sa- and sawfa based on a modern newspaper corpus

“Future Variability: A Corpus Study of Arabic Future Particles.”
Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XV.  Edited by Dilworth Parkinson
and Samira Farwaneh. 2003.  pp. 191-211.

I really found no evidence that they are used to refer to near vs far
future in modern newspapers, but a lot of evidence that they are
different in other ways.

dil