Arabic-L:PEDA:speaking/listening MSA materials

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 13 16:51:28 UTC 2009

1) Subject:speaking/listening MSA materials
2) Subject:speaking/listening MSA materials
3) Subject:speaking/listening MSA materials

Date: 13 Mar 2009
From:Ayesha Nicole <ayesha_nicole at yahoo.com>
Subject:speaking/listening MSA materials

Dear Mai,

I am an informal student of Arabic, and believe the two following
programs are what you are looking for:

http://www.press.georgetown.edu/detail.html?session=985d877f0c38c4c68762d3d3b633efaa&cat=&id=9781589010604

http://www.press.georgetown.edu/detail.html?session=985d877f0c38c4c68762d3d3b633efaa&cat=&id=9781589011069

- Ayesha

Date: 13 Mar 2009
From:Paul Wulfsberg <paul.wulfsberg at gmail.com>

  find Dr. Shukri Abed's "Focus on Contemporary Arabic" an excellent
supplementary in-class listening resource.

The DVD offers interviews with native speakers at a range of
difficulties (organized according to various cultural and social
issues in the Arab world), mostly at intermediate and advanced levels,
but with several that are appropriate at a beginning level.  One
appealing aspect of the book is that it offers a glimpse into how
native speakers speak fusha in unscripted conversations, mixing in
bits of dialect, making mistakes, or using filler words.  These
elements are all marked in the book, which simply consists of the
transcripts for each of the interviews, as well as some questions at
the end.  I use it more as a teacher's supplementary in-class
listening resource than a text that all the students would purchase
(partly because the transcript is present, meaning that a student
could easily use their reading instead of listening skills), but I
have seen it also used as a main text in classes focusing on speaking
and listening.

Focus on Contemporary Arabic is also very handy for listening segments
on tests, and I've never had any technical problems with the DVD,
difficulty rewinding it, etc.

There will be a follow-up text coming out I believe in the next few
months, aimed more at students who have had 1-3 semesters of Arabic.
The conversations accordingly are more scripted and more strictly in
fusha, and the accompanying textbook has detailed explanations of
grammar points.

http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Arabic-Conversations-Native-Speakers/dp/0300109482

-Khalid