Arabic-L:PEDA:Number of Al-Kitaab Chapters per term

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Oct 21 23:32:48 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Number of Al-Kitaab Chapters per term
2) Subject:Number of Al-Kitaab Chapters per term

Date: 21 Oct 2009
From:Hanada Taha-Thomure <hanada at arabexpertise.com>
Subject:Number of Al-Kitaab Chapters per term

Hello Dear David,

First of all, a warm salute to you and to my Alma Mater, AUB, and to
the wonderful Arabic program you have there.

Second, I'm very pleased to hear anyone at all mentioning the word
"goals".  It is essential that we move the discourse in the field of
Arabic teaching & learning from "which chapter in which textbook ought
we finish" to "what goals, skills and competencies ought our students
learn and master."  The field of education has made wide strides into
that domain and the Arabic language professionals and programs need to
benefit from that, otherwise, we become yet again textbook and teacher-
centered programs which is not a very relevant situation in today's
world.

Having clearly articulated competencies ad goals that all learners of
Arabic need to achieve after a certain number of instructional hours
has been completed will help streamline the field and lessen the state
of chaos created.  It will in addition, give teachers the freedom
indeed to choose materials from various sources to help them
accomplish those goals and competencies and for once we will all speak
the same educational jargon.

Best regards, hanada

Hanada Taha-Thomure, PhD
Director of Arabic Programs,
Language Acquisition Resource Center, SDSU http://larc.sdsu.edu
858-342-7399 OR 619-594-0371
Director, ArabExpertise www.arabexpertise.com
Lecturer, Department of Linguistics & Oriental Languages, SDSU