Arabic-L:PEDA:Number of Al-Kitaab Chapters per term

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Oct 30 21:43:40 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Number of Al-Kitaab Chapters per term

Date: 30 Oct 2009
From:Muhammad Eissa <eissa at comcast.net>
Subject:Number of Al-Kitaab Chapters per term

Salaam All;

	Perhaps Hanada's response is among the firs I read in this list that
attract our attention to a major misallocation of our teaching focus.
In the
past ten years + I have been heavily engaged in mostly K-12 teachers'
training. One expression is always highlighted and stressed as a goal
is:
"what you want student to know and be able to do by the end of your
teaching
phase?".

	The prevailing misconception is that "curriculum" means textbook and
visa versa. Unlike language teaching faculty in institutions of higher
education,  K-12 Arabic language teachers, especially in public
schools, are
required to teach according to Standards-Based Curriculum.  (see
Executive
know or to be engaged in the current language teaching movement.

	I am afraid many members in this list may be reluctant to open the
door for a realistic discussion of the status of Arabic language
teaching,
particularly those who teach in institutions of higher education.
However,
it is not too late to reflect on our current status and engage in a
serious
investigation of why Arabic is still lagging behind in its teaching
pedagogical progress.

Salaam
Muhammad S. Eissa, Ph. D.
University of Chicago,
Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations,
1155 E. 58th. Street,
Chicago, IL 60637
Ph. (773) 834-0123
Fax (773) 702-2587