Arabic-L:LING:more on duals of hamza final verbs

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 16 19:28:13 UTC 2009

1) Subject:more on duals of hamza final verbs

Date: 16 Sep 2009
From: Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:more on duals of hamza final verbs

I finally understood what that second message was saying: that hamza
final verb duals should be written:

بدءا  ملءا  قرءا  َand أخطءا

So I tried the search term:  (bd|ml|qr|LxT)CA

and ran through everything again.  There is not a single instance of
one of these forms appearing anywhere in the entire corpus.  There are
many examples of:

بدءا

but as far as I can tell, every single one of them represents: bad'an
(the verbal noun in the indefinite accusative), not badaCA, the dual.
So while it is a nice idea, no one seems to be going with it.
dil