Arabic-L:TRANS:'common sense'

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Apr 6 15:33:20 UTC 2010

1) Subject:'common sense'
2) Subject:'common sense'
3) Subject:'common sense'
4) Subject:'common sense'

Date: 06 Apr 2010
From:"Uhlmann, Allon" <uhlmanna at umsl.edu>
Subject:'common sense'

Many suggest بديهي and its cognates as a translation for commonsensical and commonsense.  But doesn’t بديهي denote that which is intuitive or axiomatic, i.e. goes without saying?  Isn’t this, then, a little bit different from commonsense?

Allon J. Uhlmann
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
University of Missouri - St. Louis
http://www.umsl.edu/~uhlmanna/