Arabic-L:TRANS:'common sense'

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Apr 14 21:23:59 UTC 2010

1) Subject:'common sense'
2) Subject:'common sense'
3) Subject:'common sense'
4) Subject:'common sense'
5) Subject:'common sense'

Date: 14 Apr 2010
From:Alaa Elgibali <elgibali at umd.edu>
Subject:'common sense'

Does the word المفهومية as used in Egypt do the trick?

With best wishes,

Alaa Elgibali

Date: 14 Apr 2010
From:Robert Ricks <rsricks at gmail.com>

Hi Dil,

I think your analysis on "common sense" is correct. One further twist …For "common sense," Dar El-Ilm's Dictionary of Collocations gives:

• الفطرة السليمة
• الحس الفطري
• الحس السليم

The second (الحس الفطري) has only two occurrences in arabiCorpus, but the other two are approximately equally frequent. Clearly, neither expression patterns with quite the same range of meanings as the English "common sense" (many of the examples seem closer to "sound thinking/clear thinking"), but there is certainly overlap.

Interestingly, though, there is an unequal regional distribution of the terms. Al-Ahram has 10 occurrences of الفطرة السليمة but none of الحس السليم; Al-Hayat favors الحس السليم by a ratio of 3:1; and Thawra (Syria) has approximately equal distribution.

Hope all is well,

Robert