Arabic-L:LING:Audio files of Chadian/Shuwa Arabic

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Feb 10 23:38:07 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Wed 10 Feb 2010
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <
dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu

[To post messages to the list, send them to
arabic-l at byu.edu
]

listserv at byu.edu
 with first line reading:

1) Subject:Audio files of Chadian/Shuwa Arabic
2) Subject:Audio files of Chadian/Shuwa Arabic

Date: 110 Feb 2010
From:Stephen Franke <shfranke at hotmail.com>
Subject:Audio files of Chadian/Shuwa Arabic

Greetings.

I think the late Alan S. Kaye compiled some audio samples during his fieldwork. He adapted and transliterated their features in some of his articles on Arabic dialectology or in his 1976 book, Chadian and Sudanese Arabic in the light of comparative Arabic dialectology. Publisher was Mouton in The Hague (ISBN 90-279-3324-3. Although OOP, a copy may be available via interlibrary loan).

A long shot you might contact and query is the Georgetown U Library. That Library inherited the extensive library holdings of CAL when CAL closed its office in Rosslyn, VA and moved to a new location in DC. The GU Library collection transferred from CAL included some really obscure -- but still-useful and rare -- descriptive items about Libyan, Yemeni, and Gulf Arabic dialects. Those were very helpful to me for some dialectology research.

Let me know if you have some texts or scripts for recording in that Chadian/Shuwa/Baqqara dialect or a related special interest, and I can connect you with some contacts in the small, and fastidiously self-effacing, ethnic populations of western/Khartoumi Sudanese and Chadians resettled here in California and nearby states.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
E-mail: < shfranke [at] hotmail [dot] com >.