Arabic-L:LIT:looking for 'fun' Arabic novels

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Feb 10 23:38:06 UTC 2010

1) Subject:looking for 'fun' Arabic novels

Date: 110 Feb 2010
From:Sierra Millman <sierraprasada at gmail.com>
Subject:looking for 'fun' Arabic novels

Hi all,

I'm an advanced Arabic student, and I've read a couple of novels in Arabic (specifically, اليعيب و and موسم الحهجرة إلى الشمال), but I'm struggling a bit with what to read next. I'm in Beirut so I can get almost anything, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

I'd appreciate it if any of you can recommend some novels that are (1) relatively realistic as opposed to experimental (i.e. plotless); (2) either entirely in FusHa or with dialogue in Levantine dialect; (3) newer novels, not necessarily just the big names (Khoury, Kanafani, etc.); and (4) if at all possible, fun to read. I recognize that tastes differ as to what's "fun," but I think there is a somewhat clear distinction between the novel you read for enjoyment and the one full of wonderful analytical possibilities to be explored in your dissertation...

I imagine that students of other dialects of Arabic (either readers of the list or students of the linguists subscribed here) might also be seeking such advice, so if you can recommend novels with dialogue in other dialects, please send those along as well.

Thanks and all the best,
Sierra

End of Arabic-L:  10 Feb 2010