Arabic-L:PEDA:Listening resources for Ammiyya teachers

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 20 19:14:24 UTC 2010

1) Subject:Listening resources for Ammiyya teachers

Date: 20 Jan 2010
From:Jamal Ali <thejamalali at gmail.com>
Subject:Listening resources for Ammiyya teachers

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. My friend Stephen Cardoos alerted me to this excellent listening resource for those who are teaching Egyptian, Levantine, or Iraqi dialects. This totally free website contains recorded phone conversations in those dialects, organized by dialect, topic, and level of difficulty.

http://phone.dliflc.edu/default.asp

It is sort of an Aswaat Arabiyya for dialect. I am unclear if these are phone conversations that have been scripted and acted out for pedagogical purposes, or if someone somehow managed to capture this large amount of authentic native language production (probably the former), but in any case, I think they can make a good supplement to an ammiyya course.
Jamal Ali

End of Arabic-L:  20 Jan 2010