Arabic-L:LING:marra

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jun 9 13:35:06 UTC 2010

1) Subject:marra

Date: 09 Jun 2010
From:<rajaa.aquil at modlangs.gatech.edu>
Subject:marra

Hi Ben,

I will refer to the examples in Egyptian Arabic... in my intuition and the intuition of those native speakers I asekd (at the moment only 3 but can ask more), I would say focus is at play here... with the الضمير العائد . Those I asked said both work but the ones that has the preposition and resumptive pronoun is better? When asked why better? The answer was given with gestural indication and it is focus and specification.

However, I would also like to introduce another dimension and  that it is the preposition and not necessarily the resumptive pronoun. In one you use the preposition and in the other you don't. Prepositions in Cognitive Linguistics are very nicely explained in temrs of domain, trajectory and instrument. So perhpas in the phrases where the preposition is missing, the reason would be thinking of مرة as a whole domain and not part of.

Your questions is interesting and will definitely keep me busy. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Rajaa

End of Arabic-L: 09 Jun 2010