Arabic-L:PEDA:Sahlawayhi Arabic Grammar for Foreigners

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jun 9 13:35:01 UTC 2010

1) Subject:Sahlawayhi Arabic Grammar for Foreigners

Date: 09 Jun 2010
From:Ahmed Hassan Khorshid <khorshid at aucegypt.edu>
Subject:Sahlawayhi Arabic Grammar for Foreigners

Dear friends and colleagues,
I've finally published my grammar book "Sahlawayhi Arabic Grammar for Foreigners". If you don't want to read about it, please delete.

I think it's different from conventional grammar books in many ways:
1. It emphasizes language functions and meanings. Therefore, many chapters have new or different titles. Some chapters explai rules analogous to grammars of European languages.

2. The book is completely in Arabic, except for a three-page list of grammatical terms translated into English, French, German and Spanish.

3. The language of explanation corresponds to the level of the grammatical topic.

4. The design of the book is also different: The right-hand page is for explanation and examples, whereas the left-hand page is for exercises.

5. The examples and exercises are taken, mainly, from Sahlawayhi: Graded Stories for Beginners. So, there is context, instead of learning grammar in isolation.

6. There is also an answer key, which makes it also suitable for self-study.

I have a 60-page file of excerpts. If you are interested, please write to me and I'll send it to you.
The book can be bought online at
www.createspace.com/3428829

--
Ahmad Khorshid