Arabic-L:LING:needs help with Moroccan Arabic word list

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri May 7 11:49:29 UTC 2010

1) Subject:needs help with Moroccan Arabic word list

Date: 07 Aug 2010
From:Sara Phillips <saracphillips at gmail.com>
Subject:needs help with Moroccan Arabic word list

I'm trying to put together a psycholinguistic experiment to examine
morphological roots in Moroccan Arabic.    Putting together a list of
appropriate stimuli is very challenging, so I could use some help in
thinking of words to use.  I'd truly appreciate help from anyone
familiar with Moroccan darija.

I need sets of three words each, meeting the following criteria:

-Words 1 and 2 must share the same root.

-Words 1 and 3 must share 3 letters/sounds, but NOT the same root.

A couple of examples :

1				2				3

khddiya			khda			dda
tijara 			ttajr 				jar

Right now I'm not being picky about any details other than that, since
it is a challenge even to think of words meeting those two simple
requirements.     If anyone can help out by thinking of a few sets,
that would be great.   I am not a native speaker, and I'd never be
able to come up with enough of them on my own.

Chokran bzzaf!

- Sara Phillips

Graduate Student
Linguistics Department, The Ohio State University
phillips at ling.osu.edu

End of Arabic-L:  07 Aug 2010