Arabic-L:LING:Arabic yes/no questions

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Nov 23 15:34:25 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Arabic yes/no questions
2) Subject: Arabic yes/no questions

Date: 23 Nov 2010
From: Alexander Magidow <amagidow at gmail.com>
Subject: Arabic yes/no questions

[moderator's note: Alex is right.  Here is the missing contact info: May Mahdi Al-Ramadan <mal_ramadan at hotmail.com>; I will go ahead and forward these messages to her.  dil)

Hey Dil,

I don't think you included the contact info for May in the message quoted below, so I'm sending this to you directly.

First, I don't think "hal" is a complementizer in the sense that it is used elsewhere in the language to introduce complements. I would argue that it is a polarity question marker, something attested quite widely in the world's languages.  Obviously a generative explanation might confuse the two, since in such an analysis this marker might occur in the CP (complementizer-phrase) position, based on what I remember of G&B style syntax (and therefore conflict with movement to CP by verbs for purposes of inversion). However, strictly functionally speaking, there is a difference between a complementizer and an interrogative particle.

In any case, a good place to start would be König, Ekkehard and Petere Siemund. 2007. `Speech act distinctions in grammar' in Shopen, Timothy (ed). Language Typology and Linguistic Description, 2nd edition, in Vol 1, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. They have a nice section devoted to the typology of polar interrogatives, and actually say "Interrogative particles also occur in constituent interrogatives [e.g. polar interrogatives marked by a change in constituent order from declarative clauses], but mostly optionally so (p.14)" This would appear to contradict Carnie.  If May does not have access to that work, I can email her a PDF.

Also, it's interesting to note that Moroccan Arabic has innovated an interrogative particle("wash"), though I don't believe there's constituent inversion as well. Masri "huwa" ("huwwa ma-fii-sh hadd guwwa?" 'is there nobody inside?'[Hinds-Badawi p. 918]) might also be argued to be some form of interrogative particle.

You can feel free to repost this to the list also.

Alex Magidow