Arabic-L:PEDA:Summer Intensive Arabic Study Abroad programs

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Oct 25 14:57:03 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Summer Intensive Arabic Study Abroad programs
2) Subject: Summer Intensive Arabic Study Abroad programs
3) Subject: Summer Intensive Arabic Study Abroad programs
4) Subject: Summer Intensive Arabic Study Abroad programs
5) Subject: Summer Intensive Arabic Study Abroad programs

Date: 25 Oct 2010
From: moderator
Subject: Summer Intensive Arabic Study Abroad programs

There is a list of Arab World programs on the AATA website (www.aataweb.org/middle_east_programs) and most of these have summer intensive programs.
dil

Date: 25 Oct 2010
From: David Wilmsen <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>

Matt,

To the best of my knowledge, all intensive summer Arabic language programs emphasize speaking, listening, reading, and writing.

There are summer programs sprouting up all over the Arab world. That being so, you have something of a luxury of choice. My advice to anyone learning Arabic is not to neglect the study of one of the spoken Arabic vernaculars. (Perhaps that is what you mean by asking for programs emphasizing speaking? With the institutional bias towards so-called Modern Standard Arabic, which is not a native spoken vernacular of anyone anywhere, your query may be more apropos than you had imagined). The study-abroad experience is the ideal time in which to engage a spoken vernacular, so the deciding consideration to students such as yourself should then be what part of the Arab world interests them or in which they imagine themselves working in their careers. That is the local vernacular they should choose.

With the wide choices now available, you should investigate such programs as offer the spoken variety of Arabic indigenous to the part of the Arab world that interests you the most. As I say, there are many now available. For starters, check the homepage of the American Association of Teachers of Arabic. I happen to collect all the announcements I see (or most of them) so if you wish to send me a message telling me which spoken Arabic vernacular interests you the most, I may be able to suggest a program to you.

I should mention is that we have a six-week intensive summer program at the American University of Beirut in which we are paying more and more attention to spoken Lebanese Arabic. As of last year, students received one and a half hours a day of Lebanese Arabic to start the morning, and then went on to another five hours of written Arabic. There is some talk of a pure spoken Lebanese option, but I wouldn't count on that until it is actually announced. Part of the problem is a sheer lack of a sufficient quantity of appropriate teaching materials (as exists for Egyptian Arabic).

The program is offered through the Center for Arab and Middle Eastern Studies (CAMES). Information may be found on their webpage: http://www.aub.edu.lb/fas/cames/Pages/index.aspx

Applications are through the CAMES office, not the AUB office of admissions; the form should be available next month.

Even though the summer weather is hot (about 34 C) and sticky (80% relative humidity), students love Beirut. The nights, I hear, are different from the days.

David Wilmsen
Associate Professor of Arabic
Department of Arabic and Near Eastern Languages
American University of Beirut