Arabic-L:LIT:Mahfouz at 100 CFP

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Oct 25 14:57:01 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Mahfouz at 100 CFP

Date: 25 Oct 2010
From: Amal Eqeiq <aeqeiq at uw.edu>
Subject: Mahfouz at 100 CFP

Dear Colleagues,

Salaams and greetings. We are happy to announce that we will be hosting a seminar at the annual conference for the American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) in Vancouver, B.C. March 31 to April 3.

The theme of the conference is "World Literature, Comparative Literature."

The title of our seminar is "Mahfouz at 100: The Arabic Novel and the Changing World." The idea behind this seminar is to generate discussion about the Arabic novel, its historical role and its place within world literature while keeping in mind Mahfouz's legacy. That said, papers need not focus on Mahfouz. Topics may include but are not limited to: politics of the novel and the novel in politics, writing the diaspora, narratives of social struggle, the evolution of the Arabic novel and critical literary scholarship in Arabic studies, and issues in translation and cultural communication. Papers that keep in mind a comparative mode of analysis are especially welcome. Please take a look at the seminar description and consider joining us this Spring in beautiful Vancouver, B.C.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS NOVEMBER 12.

INFORMATION ABOUT THE SEMINAR CAN BE FOUND AT:
http://www.acla.org/acla2011/

TO VIEW OUR SEMINAR FOLLOW THIS LINK:

http://www.acla.org/acla2011/?p=1009

To submit your paper please follow this link. Remember to select our seminar, "Mahfouz at 100":

http://www.acla.org/submit/index.php?override=xyzzy

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

-Amal Eqeiq and Nathaniel Greenberg

Amal Eqeiq: aeqeiq at u.washington.edu

Nathaniel Greenberg: nateg at u.washington.edu