Arabic-L:LING:to laugh

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Apr 25 18:08:00 UTC 2011

1) Subject: to laugh
2) Subject: to laugh
3) Subject: to laugh

Date: 25 April 2011
From: Nizar Habash <habash at ccls.columbia.edu>
Subject: to laugh

Hi -- just wanted to put my 2 cents in:

I think the source of the question is about the possible similarity between DiHik/DaHak and
xirib/xarab fall_apart/destroy (unaccusative/causitive which is also intransitive/transitive).
Unlike xirib/xarab, DiHik/DaHak are (sub)dialectal phonological variants. Both are intransitive.
The  "to fool" sense is expressed with a different sub-categorization frame requiring a second argument
expressed as object of preposition EalaY.

Nizar Habash