Arabic-L:GEN:wants info on female scribes

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Mar 14 20:03:13 UTC 2011

1) Subject: wants info on female scribes

Date: 14 Mar 2011
From: Adam McCollum <acmccollum101 at gmail.com>
Subject: wants info on female scribes

Dear list members,

I recently cataloged a Christian Arabic manuscript (dated 1533/4) written by a female scribe, and this aroused my curiosity about females scribes in general. I know a few studies that mention female scribes for Greek, Hebrew, and (east) Syriac manuscripts, but I would welcome any other references or examples especially from Arabic, Islamic or Christian.

With best wishes and thanks in advance,

Adam McCollum, Ph.D.
Lead Cataloger, Eastern Christian Manuscripts
Hill Museum & Manuscript Library
Saint John's University
P.O. Box 7300
Collegeville, MN 56321