Arabic-L:LING:New Article:Interdiscursitity

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu May 12 16:47:05 UTC 2011

1) Subject: New Article:Interdiscursitity

Date: 12 May 2011
From: emad Abdul-Latif <emadaaeg at yahoo.com>
Subject: New Article:Interdiscursitity

 An article on "Interdiscursivity between political and religious discourses in Arabic Political Discourse" to be announced in Arab Linguist List if appropriate.

Article details

Interdiscursivity between political and religious discourses in a speech by Sadat: Combining CDA and addressee rhetoric

Author

Emad Abdul-Latif, Cairo University

Abstract:

Religion and politics have a complicated relationship in the Arab world. Interdiscursivity within political speeches between religious and political discourses is a manifestation of this complexity. This article argues that this sort of interdiscursivity imposes hard restrictions on the responses of Muslim addressees. Muslims’ responses to Islamic sacred texts are inherently restricted because disagreement with divine texts amounts to heresy. Accordingly, their responses to political speeches that present themselves as semi-religious texts are highly restricted as well. I will analyze a speech by the late Egyptian president Sadat to show how potential and actual responses could be controlled by creating intertextual links with the Qur’an and adopting the genre of Islamic religious sermons. I combine analytical tools from critical discourse analysis and what I refer to as “addressee rhetoric” to investigate the relationship between interdiscursivity and addressee response.

In: Journal of Language and Politics 10:1. 2011. (pp. 50–67)

 Link: http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_articles.cgi?bookid=JLP%2010%3A1&artid=911147998