Arabic-L:GEN:transcription symbol ‘ayn

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue May 24 23:26:28 UTC 2011

Arabic-L: Tue 24 May 2011
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>

1) Subject: transcription symbol ‘ayn

Date: 24 May 2011
From: Mai Zaki <maizaki at gmail.com>
Subject: transcription symbol ‘ayn

Dear all,

I am having problems with an article due to be published soon with the transcription symbol for the letter "ein". I am generally using the Charis SIL font for the symbols and the one I am used for this letter is ʿ  (not sure if this will be properly visible). Could you please suggest alternative symbols for this letter which will not be problematic for printing on any computer? What are other used symbols for this particular letter?

Thanks a lot.

Mai Zaki
Middlesex University