Arabic-L:LING:Verbs with preps responses

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Sat Oct 1 05:59:04 UTC 2011

1) Subject:Verbs with preps response

Date: 01 Oct 2011
From:sattar izwaini <sattarumist at yahoo.co.uk<mailto:sattarumist at yahoo.co.uk>>
Subject:Verbs with preps response

Hello

Some verbs in Arabic need a preposition to have an 'object'. Without the preposition the structure would not be right and may give a different meaning, e.g.

جاءنا خبر (jaa'naa khabar)

this is an intransitive verb and the word خبر is the subject, whereas in

جاءنا بخبر (jaa'naa bi-khabar)

the verb is transitive with 'unmentioned' subject that is implied and should be known form the context and cotext. The word خبر is the 'patient' or the 'object' if you wish. However, according to Arabic grammar it is the object of the preposition not the verb. The preposition and the verb constitute a prepositional phrase. the same analysis can be applied on other verbs with preposition where the structure and semantics require the preposition.