Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs info on Self-study Arabic programs

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Sep 9 14:06:13 UTC 2011

1) Subject:Needs info on Self-study Arabic programs

Date: 09 Sep 2011
From:Gregory Askew <gregory.askew at gmail.com<mailto:gregory.askew at gmail.com>>
Subject:Needs info on Self-study Arabic programs

My name is Greg Askew. I am currently teaching English in the United Arab
Emirates. Over the past year I have been teaching myself Arabic (a mix of
Modern Standard and colloquial) by using a range of free resources online
(websites, YouTube videos, etc.), a handful of simple phrase books and
dictionaries, conversation with Arab colleagues, and everyday practice. I'm
proud of what I have accomplished in just ten months of living in an Arab
country--I understand most of the writing system, including the common
harakat; I've got a reasonable handle on pronunciation of new words in
written texts; and I'm not bashful about practicing my beginner's Arabic
with folks outside; however, I feel I need a much more regimented approach
if I'm to attain the level of proficiency I desire. If it is not too much
trouble, could you please share with me any recommendations for online,
text, audio, and/or multimedia language-learning programs that focus on
Modern Standard Arabic.
ãÚ ÇáÓáÇã
Greg