Arabic-L:LING:Arabic Word responses

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Sep 13 06:42:32 UTC 2011

1) Subject:Arabic Word  response

Date: 13 Sep 2011
From:gago_carpe at HOTMAIL.COM<mailto:gago_carpe at HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:Arabic Word  response

Hi all and hi Ibrahim,

I can remember some few references related to word frequency. Here they are:

1. Samy, Waheed: "Computer Word Frequency Counting in Arabic", in Elgibali, A. (1996): Understanding Arabic. Essays in Contemporary Arabic Linguistics in Honor of El-Said Badawi. Cairo. The American University in Cairo Press, pages 259-271.   The corpus is based on arabic language textbooks, but the author says that previous studies on arabic word frequency are -but I didn't have access to them-:

. Landau, Jacob M.: A word count of Modern Arabic Prose. New York: American COucil of Learned Societies (not year indicated)
. Sartain, E. (comp.): Modern Written Arabic Graded Vocabulary Lists. Cairo. The American University in Cairo. (1978) (For use with Graded REaders in Modern Written Arabic)
. L'Arabe Fonctionnel. La comission Permanente de l'Arabe Foctionel. Second Edition. Tunis. 1976.
. المفردات الشائعة في اللغة العربية; إعداد  الدكتور عطيّة عبدة, مطبوعات جامعة الرياض. ١٩٧٩
قائمة مكة للمفردات الشائعة; جامعة أم القرى، معهد العربية، وحدة البحوث ولمناهج.

I'm sorry for the mistakes on arabic: I have not adaptated my keyboard on this pc. I don't know if this author (Waheed Samy) has more studies on word frequency..maybe it's good to look for in this way.

2. And of course...: Buckwalter, T. & Parkinson, D. : A Frequency Dictionary of Arabic: Core Vocabulary for Learners. Routledge Frequency Dictionnaries

Hope that can help you. Regards,

Laura