Arabic-L:LING:Arabic Verbs with Prep query

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 28 12:50:13 UTC 2011

1) Subject:Arabic Verbs with Prep query

Date: 28 Sep 2011
From:om_qaswar at YAHOO.COM<mailto:om_qaswar at YAHOO.COM>
Subject:Arabic Verbs with Prep query

Dear all,
I have a question about the Arabic verbs that become transitive by the use of the prepositions such as jaa' bi-. Do they behave in a similar way to the the English phrasal verbs which are considered as transitive because they are inseperable such as (count on)? What I know is that, in English, the noun phrases after such verbs are considered DO, but in Arabic the whole prepositional phrase is the object. Is that right? In Arabic, can we consider only the noun phrase which follows the prepositions in the prepositional phrase as DO, as in English?
I appreciat if you have any comments about this issue, or any references that you think are helpful.
Thank you very much.
Zainab