Arabic-L:PEDA:Scholarships for High School On-line Arabic course

Sat Aug 25 07:02:01 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Scholarships for High School On-line Arabic course

Date: 25 Aug 2012
From:Maggie Nassif mnnassif at byu.edu
Subject:Scholarships for High School On-line Arabic course

[the original of this message was in html format, here changed to
text.  links mentioned in the text are not available, but more info
can be had by contacting the sender or using the phone number below]

Please help us circulate widely.

The National Middle East Language Resource Center (NMELRC) in
cooperation with Qatar Foundation International and Brigham Young
University Independent Study is offering an award-winning hybrid
online course for high school students. The high school implementation
of Arabic without Walls, winner of the 2010 Distance Education Course
Award and the 2012 K-12 Distance Learning Course Award, covers the
basics of both spoken and written Arabic and enables students to
acquire real-world communication skills. This process is facilitated
by their working with an online tutor and a cohort of students who
form an online learning community.

Credit

BYU is accredited through NWAC and DETC
(http://is.byu.edu/site/about/accreditation.cfm). Students may receive
high school credit for the online course (a university credit option
is also available). To transfer the credit, students need to obtain
school approval prior to enrollment.

To facilitate this, BYU Independent Study:
• Provides the syllabus:
          First Semester AWW:
               http://is.byu.edu/site/courses/description.cfm?title=ARAB-041-101
          Second Semester AWW:

http://is.byu.edu/site/courses/description.cfm?title=ARAB-043-101
• Requires the ACT code to post the student grade

Time Commitment

To ensure good progress, students need to communicate regularly with
the online tutor and their fellow students. They typically need to
plan on spending at least 30 to 60 minutes focused study every day
(individuals vary considerably in language learning aptitude).

Cost

The total cost of the program for one semester is $128 (not including books).

Required Books

a) Alif Baa: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds, 3rd edition
(ISBN: 9781589016323). Officially      $49.95 on Amazon.com

b) Al-Kitaab fii Ta'allum al-'Arabiyya with DVDs: A Textbook for
Beginning Arabic, Part 1, 2nd edition (ISBN: 9781589011045) by Kristen
Brustad, Mahmoud Al-Batal, and Abbas Al-Tonsi. Officially $59.99 on
Amazon.com

Are you ready to register? Please review the information above carefully.

I understand that:
I must check with my school counselor before registering to ensure
that the credit for this course will transfer.
I understand that I will be registering for one semester of high
school credit and that I must dedicate daily time to pass the course.
I understand that I must provide my high school ACT code if I wish BYU
Independent Study to transfer information about my grades to my
school.

Financial aid is available according to your family size and income.
If you feel the cost of the course and books constitutes a financial
burden for your family, please click here to apply for financial aid.

To register and pay for the high school class please click here
If you have any problems registering, please call 801-422-7192