Arabic-L:OBIT:Dora Johnson

Tue Jul 3 22:31:49 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Dora Johnson

Date: 03 Jul 2012
From: eissa at COMCAST.NET
Subject:Dora Johnson

To all colleagues and friends who have known and have been touched by our
dear colleague Dora Johnson, I am so saddened to post the news of her
passing away. I am posting the message below on behalf of Dr. Catharine
Keatley who has been working and collaborating with her for decades. She has
been very close to Dora and kept her company on almost daily basis. May God
bless Dora's soul and shower her with His mercy.

Salaam
Muhammad Eissa

======================

Dear Standards Task Force:

I am writing to let you know that Dora Johnson died this morning. She had
been fighting pancreatic cancer for over two years. She loved working with
teachers of Arabic, with you,  and believed strongly in the importance of
educating Americans about the Arabic language and culture. She felt that
this was a way to build undersanding and peace in our world. Dora was very
proud of the Arabic Strandards and regretted that she would not be able to
take part in the revisions. Until recently she had planned to go to the
meeting in Chicago even though she was already feeling sick and weak. I
know she would want you to know how much she cared for all of you, and
appreciated what you have done for the field.

So far there aren't any plans for a memorial. Dora said she didn't want any
fuss, but her son and daughter say that they might just do it anyway and
have a memorial. We all need it.

If you want to get in touch with her family, her daughter is Alicia
Koundakjian and her son is Martin Johnson. Alicia's email is
dearaliciadc.gmail.com. and letters to Alicia and Martin can be written to
Dora's address, 1861 Newton Street, Washington, D.C. 20010.

Cathy