Arabic-L:LING:Needs dialect comparison charts

Mon Jun 11 18:09:50 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Needs dialect comparison charts

Date: 11 Jun 2012
From:lingrash at YAHOO.CO.UK
Subject:Needs dialect comparison charts

Dear All,

I am looking for any references or resources on the two following topics:

1. A list of the corresponding sounds in different Arabic varieties.
e.g. the sound /qaaf/ in FuSHa corresponds to the glottal stop in
Egyptian and corresponds to /g/ in Saudi.  Similar is the /dj/ in
FuSHa corresponds to /g/ in Egyptian and /j/ in Kuwaiti. and so on.  I
could find similar work by historical linguists on the corresponding
sounds between European languages such as the "ch" in English which
can be found as /k/ in German.  I would appreciate it if you know of
any resources.

2. Any research work on the differences between native and non-native
listening comprehension.  There is a lot of work on listening
comprehesnion for L2 learners (non-native) but I could not find much
on how the native listen to their own language.

I appreciate any information.
Many thanks,