Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic speakers needed for interviews to be uploaded onto language-learning website

Fri Nov 23 14:58:53 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Arabic speakers needed for interviews to be uploaded onto
language-learning website

Date: 23 Nov 2012
From:Haroon Shirwani <arabictutor at hotmail.com>
Subject:Arabic speakers needed for interviews to be uploaded onto
language-learning website

Do you speak Arabic?

Do you live in London (UK), or are you able to come over?

Would you like to contribute to a great project that will help students
everywhere improve their Arabic skills?

Would you be willing to take part in some interviews that could then be
used to as resources to help teachers and learners of Arabic?

If so, please let me know. Details as follows:

1. This is for the great new language-learning website:

www.thisislanguage.com

2. It provides lots of nice short clips (about 1 minute) of native
speakers talking about different topics, covering all the usual
vocabulary topics in language examinations.

3. It also provides full transcripts.

4. Not only that but, at the click of a button, you can turn each
transcript into a handy gap-fill exercise.

5. So far, it is available in French, Spanish and German.

6. I have used it in my French and Spanish classes and it has been amazing.

7. The best thing is that this is real people talking about their real
lives. This is exactly what our teaching is supposed to lead up to, this
 is what we would like our students to be able to understand, and here
it is, directly available in our classrooms.

8. At first, the students find the speed at which native speakers talk
rather a challenge. But that's got to happen sooner or later; and the
sooner, the better. After listening to a few clips, they become
accustomed to the speed and their comprehension skills
 reallly improve.

9. Textbooks are great but they (necessarily) lack the real life element
 which makes language learning such a joy. This provides that real life
element, in a nice, bite-size format, organised by topic, and
accompanied by exercises.

The owners of the website are considering having an Arabic section of
the website and would like to find out if there are any Arabic speakers
available to take part. Interviews would be conducted in the speaker's
dialect and also in Standard Arabic, so as to
 provide resources for all types of learners.

It's great that they are interested in Arabic, and we now need to show
them that Arabic-speakers are keen to help those who want to learn their
 beautiful language, so please let me know if you would be interested in
 taking part.

Salam,
Haroon