Arabic-L:GEN:Meaning of Near Native Proficiency for MSA

Wed Oct 3 12:50:33 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Meaning of Near Native Proficiency for MSA
2) Subject:Meaning of Near Native Proficiency for MSA

Date: 03 Oct 2012
From:Paul Roochnik <proochnik at gmail.com>
Subject:Meaning of Near Native Proficiency for MSA

Mean for MSA?" --
I am not here to defend the use or misuse of this expression,  but one of
the hallmarks of a highly educated native speaker of Arabic at ILR level 4+
or 5 would be his/her ability to shift effortlessly from one register of
the language to another -- anywhere in the spectrum from most colloquial to
most formal -- depending on the shifting socio-linguistic context.
Cheers,
Abu Sammy